Monday, September 18, 2006

A critque of The Protector

So, this past weekend my boyfriend dragged me along to watch The Protector, you know the crazy martial arts movie by Quintin Terantino.

At first I though the movie was a bit crazy and a bit corny (for example, the movie opens up with a story line about a bunch of people called "the protectors" in Asia whose job and lives are spent raising and protecting elephants for their King. Basically, they raise the elephants, protect them from hunters, and then deliver them to their kings. Then, when there is a battle, the king will ride into battle on the elephant and the protectors are suppose to protect the elephant from being harmed so that the king doesn't fall).

So you can see why at first I wasn't too into the movie???

However, if you are a martial arts movie fan, then this movie is a MUST SEE!!!!!! The Protector puts martial arts legends like Jackie Chan to shame. None of the fight scenes look "fake" or unrealistic (I mean, I am sure they are, but they at least don't LOOK that way). Some of the fight scenes are just out and out crazy!!! For example, in one of the scenes the main character, who is maybe 5'9 and 180 pounds, fights three men (and kicks their butts!) that are somewhere close to 300 pounds and way over 7 feet tall. I mean my jaw dropped to the floor in most of the scenes.

My overall opinion of this movie--go see it for a kick-ass martial arts movie, don't go see it to see good acting or a decent story line.

No comments: